Toughest preseason ever

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Croker, Vaughan and Fensom

Re: Toughest preseason ever

Post by The Nickman » January 12, 2018, 11:51 am

We don't need to play trials, guys... the important thing is that the boys hit form going into the finals, not at the start of the year, just like they did in 2017... oh, wait
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

BlameItOnTheBooger
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger » January 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Yeah, trials were the problem last year. Clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » January 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

Attitude certainly was.

zim
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Post by zim » January 12, 2018, 1:04 pm

Notaroboticfish wrote:Just to be clear, we had 1 trial before 2015 & 2016 as well. iirc, the starters not played the first half in 2016 as well, however we were up 30-0 then, rather than down 30-0
In 2015 we played 1 against Melbourne (feb 7) then 1 against Newcastle (feb 21). The melbourne game was pretty much a Mounties side.
2016 1 against Newcastle. The full 1st grade team started the match (barring Blake Austin). 34-0 before the knights scored. Nearly all were swapped out for the second half (34-28).

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish » January 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

zim wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Just to be clear, we had 1 trial before 2015 & 2016 as well. iirc, the starters not played the first half in 2016 as well, however we were up 30-0 then, rather than down 30-0
In 2015 we played 1 against Melbourne (feb 7) then 1 against Newcastle (feb 21). The melbourne game was pretty much a Mounties side.
2016 1 against Newcastle. The full 1st grade team started the match (barring Blake Austin). 34-0 before the knights scored. Nearly all were swapped out for the second half (34-28).
So, the details were a tiny bit off, but the point still stands. We can have and in recent years have had success with limited trials or focus put towards pre-season.

I think the issue, rather than being lack of trials was probably more an attitude thing. They walked in to the NRL season thinking they’d win every game by 40, easily win the GF. That was probably most evident in the Newcastle trial actually. After they scored 1 or 2 tries they stopped trying so they’d have an excuse as to why they got beat by 40 by the worst team in NRL history.
The issue wasn’t 1 trial itself IMO, probably more the attitude taken towards it and the 9s and the start of the NRL season.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/ra ... down-clock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damoni
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni » January 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

The whole trials thing is such a beat up.

One of our best games was round 1 vs the cows, we actually had a crack despite losing.

We lost our way as the season progressed and couldn’t close out games, lost confidence, infighting and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid » January 12, 2018, 3:19 pm

Damoni wrote:The whole trials thing is such a beat up.

One of our best games was round 1 vs the cows, we actually had a crack despite losing.

We lost our way as the season progressed and couldn’t close out games, lost confidence, infighting and the rest is history.

true. The first 7 rounds included
4 wins and
3 losses (2 very close ones against bris and NQL and a thrashing from sharks)

I felt that it was from the close loss in round 8 against Sea Eagles in a very intense match is where the wheels fell off
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat » January 12, 2018, 3:39 pm

some common sense finally :)

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby » January 12, 2018, 4:22 pm

greeneyed wrote:Attitude certainly was.
That's all it was.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby » January 12, 2018, 4:24 pm

Pigman aka Nick aka R69 has said a lot over the years that trials mean naught.

I disagreed until I realised he was right.

gangrenous
Gary Belcher

Post by gangrenous » January 12, 2018, 5:36 pm

Notaroboticfish wrote:
zim wrote:
So, the details were a tiny bit off, but the point still stands. We can have and in recent years have had success with limited trials or focus put towards pre-season.

I think the issue, rather than being lack of trials was probably more an attitude thing. They walked in to the NRL season thinking they’d win every game by 40, easily win the GF. That was probably most evident in the Newcastle trial actually. After they scored 1 or 2 tries they stopped trying so they’d have an excuse as to why they got beat by 40 by the worst team in NRL history.
The issue wasn’t 1 trial itself IMO, probably more the attitude taken towards it and the 9s and the start of the NRL season.

So 2015 was success?! The start of 2016 wasn’t all that crash hot either. I think there’s little there to disprove the possibility of being underdone to start the season.

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Toughest preseason ever

Post by Notaroboticfish » January 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

gangrenous wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:
zim wrote:

So 2015 was success?! The start of 2016 wasn’t all that crash hot either. I think there’s little there to disprove the possibility of being underdone to start the season.
Based off expectations from the start of the year, I would say that 2015 was a success, especially since we started well and only fell away at the end

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/ra ... down-clock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gangrenous
Gary Belcher

Post by gangrenous » January 12, 2018, 5:55 pm

I don’t think a year you miss the finals is a success no matter your expectations...

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 » January 12, 2018, 8:32 pm

100% with you.

Good post.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 » January 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Attitude certainly was.
That's all it was.

To say it was only attitude is being very kind to Ricky Stuart. It’s worth a quick look back at how Sticky selected and then used his interchange players.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

gangrenous
Gary Belcher

Post by gangrenous » January 13, 2018, 7:21 am

I think saying it’s only attitude is a little harsh. Misdirected effort through poor strategy a big part I think.

Damoni
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni » January 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

100% with you Sid that Manly game where we let that little **** Dylan Walker get under our skin was the beginning of the end.

Both clubs went on a different trajectory after that game.

Funny though, if Junior’s barge over try isn’t disallowed we win by 20 in that game, we still had that arrogance where we could just cut teams up.

BJ
John Ferguson

Post by BJ » January 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

Damoni wrote:100% with you Sid that Manly game where we let that little **** Dylan Walker get under our skin was the beginning of the end.

Both clubs went on a different trajectory after that game.

Funny though, if Junior’s barge over try isn’t disallowed we win by 20 in that game, we still had that arrogance where we could just cut teams up.

You mean the overturned live try decision where you could actually see bits of grass falling off the ball.

Outrageous video ref decision.