All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

How the Raiders recruitment rates for 2018

Post by greeneyed » December 18, 2017, 12:27 pm

NRL roster rater 2018: The ins and outs and how your squad stacks up

Canberra Raiders

With little room to move within their salary cap, the Raiders have done well to add depth in the positions needing it. Fullback is a spot they have been thin in but the arrival of Brad Abbey eases any fears should Jack Wighton go down throughout the season. The halves issue has also been fixed. The main concern is around the No.9 due to the unforeseen injury to Hodgson. What we will see is more of the club’s talented youngsters get a chance to impress with the likes of NYC team of the year awardee Jack Murchie pushing for a start.

Roster rating: C+

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... eb2b551573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zim
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Re: How the Raiders recruitment rates for 2018

Post by zim » December 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Don't see how you can give the Broncs an A with the Roosters and Cows at A+. B, maybe B+.

Northern Raider
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Northern Raider » December 18, 2017, 8:50 pm

CANBERRA RAIDERS

Gains: Charlie Gubb (Warriors), Sam Williams (Wakefield), Cooper Bambling (Mackay), Corey Horsburgh (Cowboys), Brad Abbey (Bulldogs), Craig Garvey (Bulldogs), Siliva Havili (Dragons)

Losses: Scott Sorensen (Sharks), Dave Taylor (Toronto), Jeff Lima (retired), Lachlan Croker (Sea Eagles), Clay Priest (Bulldogs), Brent Naden (Knights), Eddie Aiono (Wentworthville), Erin Clark (released)

Basically a bunch of reserves out and bunch of new reserves in. C+ is fair.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

Northern Raider
Laurie Daley

Post by Northern Raider » December 18, 2017, 8:54 pm

zim wrote:Don't see how you can give the Broncs an A with the Roosters and Cows at A+. B, maybe B+.
Storm also got A- after losing Cronk, Harris and McLean without gaining anybody of note. Both are a B at best.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

How the Raiders recruitment rates for 2018

Post by Notaroboticfish » December 18, 2017, 10:19 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
zim wrote:Don't see how you can give the Broncs an A with the Roosters and Cows at A+. B, maybe B+.
Storm also got A- after losing Cronk, Harris and McLean without gaining anybody of note. Both are a B at best.
They still have Smith, Slater and Munster. That’s still arguably the best spine in the comp, A- is fair

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/ra ... down-clock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dusty
David Furner
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker

Post by Dusty » December 19, 2017, 10:12 am

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
They still have Smith, Slater and Munster. That’s still arguably the best spine in the comp, A- is fair

Isn’t the score rating recruitment? Not their current side?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Garvey 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Tapine 13. Whitehead ----
14. Williams 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...

RTW
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW » December 19, 2017, 10:13 am

That is what I originally thought but in the end the rating is for the whole squad.

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish » December 19, 2017, 10:20 am

Dusty wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

The introduction and title certainly make it sound like that, but if you read each team’s one and then check the grade it’s about the entire squad

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/ra ... down-clock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dusty
David Furner
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker

Post by Dusty » December 19, 2017, 10:30 am

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

The introduction and title certainly make it sound like that, but if you read each team’s one and then check the grade it’s about the entire squad

Fair enough. I didn’t read the article but as mentioned the title made me think it was recruitment alone.

2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Garvey 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Tapine 13. Whitehead ----
14. Williams 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...

Northern Raider
Laurie Daley

Post by Northern Raider » December 19, 2017, 11:00 am

Yep, I see that now. Initially thought it was a recruitment rating but yes, its a rating of the squad.

In that case I'm surprised our squad is rated below the Knights and Dragons.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

SeeBee101
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 » December 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

Got to love that just about every other team has at least one significant signing. We have a signed a whole bunch of second graders.

Doesn't surprise me we have a rating that would see us in the bottom eight, if not bottom four.

Coastalraider
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider » December 19, 2017, 1:24 pm

SeeBee101 wrote:Got to love that just about every other team has at least one significant signing. We have a signed a whole bunch of second graders.

Doesn't surprise me we have a rating that would see us in the bottom eight, if not bottom four.
I agree - but to be fair, most other clubs have LOST at least 1 significant player. Taylor/Baptiste are the worst that we have lost, and they were both bench players.

Most other teams have had it a lot worse.

SeeBee101
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 » December 19, 2017, 1:29 pm

Coastalraider wrote:
SeeBee101 wrote:Got to love that just about every other team has at least one significant signing. We have a signed a whole bunch of second graders.

I agree - but to be fair, most other clubs have LOST at least 1 significant player. Taylor/Baptiste are the worst that we have lost, and they were both bench players.

True, but I still believe that squad rotation is a good thing as keeping the same exact team year after year breeds laziness. We saw last year when there wasn't any competition spots or the possibility that a player wouldnt be resigned due to poor performance.

Coastalraider
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider » December 19, 2017, 2:16 pm

SeeBee101 wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:

True, but I still believe that squad rotation is a good thing as keeping the same exact team year after year breeds laziness. We saw last year when there wasn't any competition spots or the possibility that a player wouldnt be resigned due to poor performance.
Again, I agree with the squad rotation you mention. But we have seen with managements recruitment/renewal policy that we built a squad of 15 odd players that we wanted to lock in for a 3-5 year period, which has not allowed us that rotation. I think this had a big part to play in last years complacency, but its not a surprise.