NSW government commits to Raiders' centre of excellence

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

NSW government commits to Raiders' centre of excellence

Post by greeneyed » December 20, 2017, 6:37 pm

NSW government commits to Canberra Raiders' centre of excellence: John Barilaro

The NSW government might have already announced $50 million in funding for NRL centres of excellence, but deputy premier John Barilaro is confident they will also help the Canberra Raiders build a new base at Braddon.

Seven NSW clubs will share the government money and Barilaro expected to be able to make an announcement about the Raiders facility in the "near future".

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 060ow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zim
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Re: NSW government commits to Raiders' centre of excellence

Post by zim » December 20, 2017, 9:15 pm

Well it's not a new stadium but that's good news.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » December 20, 2017, 9:44 pm

I honestly reckon if we proposed to build a new stadium in queanbeyan it would get off the ground in a second

Bay53
Jason Croker

Post by Bay53 » December 21, 2017, 7:59 am

Great idea, we can take kids from the country, develop them in our centre of excellence and then when they are 19 and ready to embark on a professional career....

send them off to Mounties to play in OUR under 20s.

I like the Mounties but what I am describing above really does show the strangeness of the decision not to have a team from Canberra in the Under 20s comp.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » December 21, 2017, 8:22 am

They’re good people at Mounties and they no doubt put a lot of cash in... and they have a lot of cash too. But I don’t think we’re likely to find a lot of top players through the Mounties district. It is a Parramatta juniors area, close to the Bulldogs and Tigers to boot. We really need our NSW Premiership teams based in our district.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » December 21, 2017, 3:27 pm

New centre of excellence will help Canberra Raiders keep up with NRL

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says their proposed $20 million centre of excellence at Braddon will help them keep up with other NRL clubs.

"You saw that [NSW government] announcement recently, in a couple of years time all those Sydney clubs will have what the [Brisbane] Broncos have got. You do have to keep up," Furner said on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 08dbp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dribble73
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 » December 21, 2017, 9:42 pm

Bay53 wrote:Great idea, we can take kids from the country, develop them in our centre of excellence and then when they are 19 and ready to embark on a professional career....

send them off to Mounties to play in OUR under 20s.

I like the Mounties but what I am describing above really does show the strangeness of the decision not to have a team from Canberra in the Under 20s comp.
Most of the 20s squad are still training in Canberra.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk