Sia Soliola on the fence over NRL future

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » December 22, 2017, 3:46 pm

Canberra Raiders spiritual leader Sia Soliola on the fence over NRL future

Canberra Raiders spiritual leader Sia Soliola says he wants to be sure before he decides whether he'll look for a contract extension beyond next year.

"When that opportunity comes we'll chat to the club, we'll see where they stand, we'll see how my body feels as well - there's a lot of things to take into account," Soliola said. "I think that conversation will come between me and Ricky and will happen soon.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 096ob.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BadnMean
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Sia Soliola on the fence over NRL future

Post by BadnMean » December 22, 2017, 4:15 pm

Unless there is a sudden turnaround in form, I'd say thanks for all the hits Sia, but hang 'em up after this one.

Been an inspirational player & had a great 2016. Was a mixed bag at best in most games in 2017 and seemed a yard off the pace all game at worst. Usually a guy like Sia who is so physical can't reverse that trend.

Makaveli
Jason Croker

Post by Makaveli » December 22, 2017, 5:00 pm

I thought this article would be talking about next year. But the year after that, really Sia.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric

Post by Matt » December 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

He has to be better than last yr to consider going around again. Otherwise, call it a day

Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga » December 22, 2017, 5:48 pm

I feel he's earned an extension, mostly for his hit on Billy though... If he ever gets Dugan like that extend him indefinitely

zim
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Post by zim » December 22, 2017, 6:06 pm

I have no issues with a 1 year extension if the idea is he fills the Lima role. Around the sqaud for the leadership but spends majority of the year starting for Mounties with a pay packet to match.

sprintman
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman » December 22, 2017, 7:44 pm

Delusional!

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » December 22, 2017, 8:36 pm

Love the bloke but seriously hope 18 is it

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby » December 22, 2017, 8:47 pm

Yeah he's past his best.

kiwi raider
Gary Belcher

Post by kiwi raider » December 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

He’s only 31! He needs to lift and get back to 2016 form but he’s not alone there. Was a massive reason for our good season in 16 and tbh I don’t think we have the aggressiveness and energy we need in the squad without a 100% fit and firing Sia. He’s more important than people think imo

Jason
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Jason » December 22, 2017, 9:27 pm

kiwi raider wrote:He’s only 31! He needs to lift and get back to 2016 form but he’s not alone there. Was a massive reason for our good season in 16 and tbh I don’t think we have the aggressiveness and energy we need in the squad without a 100% fit and firing Sia. He’s more important than people think imo
I agree, he just had a bad year. He may have had an injury we don’t know about. If we go by the fact he looked off the pace last year most of the team would be up for retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2018.

Bay53
Jason Croker

Post by Bay53 » December 23, 2017, 5:41 am

We haven’t even had Christmas 2017 and these is discussion about 2019. How about we play out at least the majority of 2018 before we start making decisions about whether aging players play on another year.

Seriously what other sport has a situation where most of one season is spent discussing the next. But then on the flip side we have players changing clubs a week before the season and then just before June 30 there is movement everywhere.

I don’t know what the solution is but the whole NRL contracting system is broken.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Matt Awford

Post by -PJ- » December 23, 2017, 8:08 am

My wife likes Sia..you know..shirt off.

I think 2018 should be it as well.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful

Raiders_Pat
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat » December 25, 2017, 9:15 am

I'd be very surprised if Soliola plays better in 2018 than he did this year. I know some do go past 31 in this game, but he's not one of those guys imo. You guys have to remember that he was playing UK Superleague not all that long ago. He's not a mainstay in the NRL.

I agree with others that there may be merit in keeping him for another year as a forwards reserve who mainly plays Mounties each week. But we'd want him on minimal coin and mainly playing an off-field, leadership type role. It's clear that he's on a downward trajectory... It's not just a case of "he had a bad year" imo.

RTW
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW » December 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Raiders_Pat wrote:I'd be very surprised if Soliola plays better in 2018 than he did this year. I know some do go past 31 in this game, but he's not one of those guys imo. You guys have to remember that he was playing UK Superleague not all that long ago. He's not a mainstay in the NRL.

I agree with others that there may be merit in keeping him for another year as a forwards reserve who mainly plays Mounties each week. But we'd want him on minimal coin and mainly playing an off-field, leadership type role. It's clear that he's on a downward trajectory... It's not just a case of "he had a bad year" imo.
In the other thread you said the better teams have an old veteran who can no longer crack the starting teaming the bench.

Isn’t this the exact role that Soliola can play?

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » December 25, 2017, 5:09 pm

Not sure what happened to him this season. Seemed a step off the pace for most of the year and that hit on Slater just reflected his general frustration.

He's only 31 though, so he could easily get back to his best playing the middle third, with a decent offseason.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Matt Awford

Post by -PJ- » December 25, 2017, 6:04 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:Not sure what happened to him this season. Seemed a step off the pace for most of the year and that hit on Slater just reflected his general frustration.

He's only 31 though, so he could easily get back to his best playing the middle third, with a decent offseason.
A decent offseason you say..

Have you heard about the toughest pre season ever ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful

Raiders_Pat
Peter Jackson

Post by Raiders_Pat » December 26, 2017, 1:24 pm

RTW wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:I'd be very surprised if Soliola plays better in 2018 than he did this year. I know some do go past 31 in this game, but he's not one of those guys imo. You guys have to remember that he was playing UK Superleague not all that long ago. He's not a mainstay in the NRL.

In the other thread you said the better teams have an old veteran who can no longer crack the starting teaming the bench.

Isn’t this the exact role that Soliola can play?

Yeah I think he could play that type of role in 2018, but we will see if he's still able to keep up in 2019. I'm not saying to get rid of him, I just think his age is showing these days and it's not really a surprise that he was down last season compared to previous seasons.

Raiders_Pat
Peter Jackson

Post by Raiders_Pat » December 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

By "another year", I was referring to 2019... the Canberra Times article is about Soliola going another year after 2018.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » December 27, 2017, 7:45 am

-PJ- wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Not sure what happened to him this season. Seemed a step off the pace for most of the year and that hit on Slater just reflected his general frustration.

A decent offseason you say..

Have you heard about the toughest pre season ever ??
Setting all records I hear. :)